Sunday, October 25, 2015

Canning Amish Hot Pepper Mustard


Amish Hot Pepper Mustard

Hot but Sweet!!! Our good garden friend Anna Gayle shared this recipe that had been given to her by her Amish friend. The best recipes are always the ones that are passed down!

I had never thought about canning mustard before until I read the recipe. I knew right away it was going to be one of those things well worth putting up. What a wonderful way to use those really hot peppers too! 

For mine, I used some Jalapenos, Serrano's and some heirloom Italians called Friariello Di Napoli. The Italians are a sweet pepper, but I was a little nervous about getting it so hot I wouldn't be able to eat it. Especially since the Serrano's had already turned red and are dangerously hot. 

After the final taste test, I saw that I had made a wise decision by adding the Italians.It turned out so delicious! You could probably accomplish the same thing by substituting a sweet bell pepper or sweet banana peppers. Keep in mind that I didn't remove any of the seeds from the hot peppers and if you had a mind to do that it would turn the heat down a bit. 

Anny Gayle warned me to try and reduce the flour from the original recipe because she thought it made it to thick. Great advice and well taken by me. Her recipe also calls for using a 32 oz. jar of mustard for the base, but I could only find it in a 28 oz. jar at my market, I scaled the recipe to fit the 28 oz. jar size as well as lowering the flour content. 

Jalapenos, Serrano's and Heirloom Italians

The recipe yielded me 4 pint jars to put in the pantry and enough extra to fill the original mustard jar about 3 quarters of the way full to stick up in the fridge for immediate use. That really turned out perfect, because I don't think between Mr. Garden and myself we would eat more than that in a years time. But, I do want to make more while the peppers are coming on and can into half pint jars for gifts this Christmas.

This is really the perfect mustard to serve with a snack tray of hard salami and cheese with crackers. It also comes well recommended with meats like ham and pork. I think it will be great used to baste a fish on the grill too.  I can't wait to try some in a pasta salad dish or even adding a pinch to my deviled eggs. 

Since I had scaled the recipe down for using a 28 oz. jar of mustard, I put what I used in RED for you. I also made a special note under the directions for those of you that might want to use a food processor.

Ingredients

3 Dozen Pepper for 32 oz. jar mustard (30 Hot and 6 Very Hot) (26 peppers for 28 oz.)
Leave seeds in very Hot Peppers (I left all the seeds in)
32oz. Vinegar (I used 28 oz.)
32oz. Mustard (I used 28 oz.)
5 Cups Sugar ( I used 3 3/4 cup)
1 T. Salt (just a pinch less)
2 Cups Tap Water (I used 1 1/2 cups)
1 Cup Flour (I used 1 cup and it made it too thick so next time I am using less flour)
(I used 1/2 cup flour) 

Directions

Chop Peppers finely. Add Vinegar, Salt, Mustard, Sugar. Stir well~! Bring to a boil for about 5 minutes. Mix water and flour in a bowl or measuring cup. Turn off heat~! Add flour mixture. Put into jars. Process for 20 minutes

NOTE
I used my food processor to prepare the peppers.

 I first poured out the mustard into the pot I would be cooking in. 

I then filled the mustard jar with my vinegar, placed the lid on it and shook it up to capture all the mustard left in the jar. 

I then cut the stems from the peppers and quickly cut them into chunks. I placed all the chunks into the food processor and added the vinegar from the mustard jar a little at a time until it was all well blended. It left the peppers in very tiny pieces, almost as specs which is what I was looking for. 

Next I poured it all in the pot with the mustard, sugar and salt and began bringing it to a boil as recommended. 

While the mustard was cooking, I mixed my water and flour together to have it ready.

A special Thanks to a wonderful garden friend Anna Gayle!

Happy Gardening and Happy Canning!
Pammy

38 comments:

  1. Thank you posting this recipe. Hopefully others will try it out as well. Such a great way to use up our peppers. Now I do not have to go to Amish Country to purchase this anymore and it will save me money by using all of my home grown peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure many people will enjoy canning up this mustard. It is so delicious and I think a lot of people may not of thought to do this before, Like ME!! I'm so grateful!! Now we must prevail and keep putting up those peppers!!! xox

      Delete
    2. My mother in law made a hot mustard with mustard powder acne turmeric. I have experimented and failed..she passed and all recipes with this fantastic cook are gone. Any ideas?

      Delete
  2. I've been making this mustard for several years now, but I cut the sugar to 3 cups. Too sweet for me! I also add some chopped onions. I put it in my potato salad, on sandwiches, in deviled eggs, etc. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known about this recipe years ago Faye!! Oh yes on the onions...I can see that!! I really need a larger onion harvest next go round. We are just beginning to get ready for sowing them. I can almost taste the potato salad! Hopefully this week I can go crazy with the mustard !!! Thanks so much for sharing! -D

      Delete
  3. I love anything spicy! It is always a good reminder to not use overripe produce. Also, butters and fats add to the rate of spoiling so it is better to stay away from those. :)

    Alex Staff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found this recipe and am excited to try it this year. Love homemade condiments. It doesn't say what type of mustard to use as the base. Can you help me with this? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! Yes, you can use your favorite brand. I used Frenches for mine. You will love this one!! :))

      Delete
  5. Is this safe to can with the flour in it? I know you aren't supposed to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat, Thanks for the information, this is a traditional Amish recipe passed down through many generations. I know things change, but s stated in the comment above by Faye and others..they've been preparing this recipe for years. I put up several batches myself. We've had no problems with it. Hope you enjoy ;))

      Delete
  6. I am excited to try this. I am just starting canning this year and we brother has a crop of hot peppers. He has ghost peppers and 7 yellow pod peppers(or something like that) and they are super super hot so I think it would be wise to use fewer hot and a few more sweet peppers. I am definitely putting this on my to-can list as soon as those hot peppers ripen. I think I will make it in half pint jars as I don't think it will be eaten too fast as it is just my husband and brother who eat hot stuff. Thank you for the recipe and I am looking forward to making it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fuzzy Monkey! How Fun!! This is a great one to begin with. If you end up with lots of extra hotties, you might try drying some for some crushed hot pepper flakes you can use during winter time. I did the bigger jars for my son. LOL he eats this stuff like its going out of style. 1/2 pints are just right for me and hubby too. Great size for gifts! xo

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just found this recipe & can't wait to make it. I'm making 1/2 pints so would process for 10 minutes? This will make great Christmas presents. Thanks, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still do the 20 minute process time for the half pints Diane. Have fun and enjoy! ;))

      Delete
  9. Love this! I also add a little cumin I have also frozen it in small bags instead of canning. I just take it out place in the refrigerator a day ahead or even a few hours and ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmm sounds wonderful!!! I do love playing around with recipes!!!

      Delete
  10. coulld you use a stout beer as substiture for water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm that sounds interesting!! Might be worth a try!!!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You say after putting the mustard pepper mix in jars, to process 20 minutes. Is this boiling water processing, or using a pressure canner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello...yes a hot water bath. Pressure canning is not needed. :)

      Delete
  13. How long is the mustard good for once processed in jars?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds awesome!! Can't wait to try and will definitely be on the Christmas gift list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds awesome!! Can't wait to try and will definitely be on the Christmas gift list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made this recipe.very nice and easy..made 8 pints got 2 left and there asking for more :) love it great on anything gotta get busy making more thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just finished canning my 3rd batch. I also use a variety of peppers. Jalapenos, serrano, hot and sweet banana peppers, and some sweet snackers. My original recipe didn't call for onions, but I put I added them to my food processor, along with several cloves of fresh garlic! This last batch was because my son wanted to see how it would turn out if we used dijon mustard. A cooled down sample tasted awesome!! He doesn't even like mustard, and he can't stop eating this!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!
    evs full form
    raw agent full form
    full form of tbh in instagram
    dbs bank full form
    https full form
    tft full form
    pco full form
    kra full form in hr
    tbh full form in instagram story
    epc full form

    ReplyDelete