Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Make Your Own Green Clean Household Cleaners and Soaps


I've been going crazy cleaning everything since I've learned how to make my own cleaning products from simple things like lemon juice and Tea Tree Oil

I had read an article about making your own laundry detergent that costs you 5 cents a load. Everything is safe for your family and the environment.


Wow, this is super fun and I know you will love it! It cleans laundry, windows, showers etc. It kills ants and roaches etc. Remarkable and with no chemicals or pesticides. I feel so good now knowing I'm totally organic inside and outside.

The first thing I made was the All-Purpose Cleaner. It's very simple to make. I have to say I've had a constant trail of fire ants coming in the house in three different places. Since I started using this cleaner they are gone gone gone!!

I cleaned my tables, counter tops, cabinets, stove-top and oven doors, windows, faucets and yes the refrigerator. Everything smells fresh and clean.

 The 20 mule team Borax is said to get rid of fleas and roaches. The Tea Tree Oil not only smells wonderful but is also an antiseptic.

All-Purpose Cleaner

2 tbsp. Borax
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups hot water
10 to 20 drops Tea Tree Oil

The next task was to make the laundry detergent. It really works!! The clothes are softer, smell fresh and clean. The borax works as a water softner. Since I have hard water with loads of minerals due to our well water this is a charm. It's not only good for the laundry but also my washing machine. This recipe makes 2 gallons.

Laundry Detergent

Ingredients
1/3 bar Zote, Fels Naptha or Ivory bar soap
1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1/2 cup 20 mule team Borax
I added in about 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil
you will need buckets to accommodate 2 gallons.

Grate the bar soap and put it in a sauce pan with 6 cups of water. Heat it until the soap melts. 

Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove it from the heat. 

At this point I mixed everything in my mop bucket until it was finished. Pour your dissolved ingredients into the mop bucket with 4 more cups of hot water and stir.

 Now add an additional 1 gallon and 6 more cups of water and stir. At this point I poured into two separate buckets with lids. It needs to sit for about 24 hours. It turns into a gel. 

You use 1/2 cup per load. For extra grungy clothes I sprinkle an extra 1/4 cup of just the borax over the wash.

Next I made a Bleach/Brightener Substitute. This can be used on whites and darks. I also have enamel sinks in the kitchen and this works great on them also.

Bleach/Brightener Substitute

1 cup hydrogen peroxide
1 1/4 cups lemon or grapefruit juice
12 cups of water

You can use any essential oil. I'm thinking Lavender would be great. I'm also thinking I may start making my own essential oils from my herbs!!! Stay clean, stay safe and help the environment.

 Happy Gardening 
Pammy!!

4 comments:

  1. I always thought this would be so hard but you made it look so easy. I have always used Borax for bugs. I put the borax in a squeeze bottle and cut the tip at an angle. I just leave a trail on the window jams and it keeps out the sugar ants. Great ideas Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great idea on the window seals with the Borax!! New Mission =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade Fabric Softener Recipe
    2 Cups Baking Soda
    2 Cups Vinegar
    4 Cups HOT Water

    Dissolve baking soda in hot water.
    Then SLOWLY add Vinegar - It will foam up. Shake well before each use - keep in mind the baking soda and vinegar will make bubbles for awhile each time you shake so be careful. I haven't bought softener at the store in years. You can add essential oil if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks For the tip on the fabric softener carlton!! This is a doer!! =D ~ Pammy

      Delete