Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fresh Cherry And Chocolate Nut Muffins


I am quite certain that these muffins were delicious indeed because they were gone pretty fast. I won't fess up to how many I ate personally. I scoured the Internet for recipes and kind of came up with my own version. I find myself doing a little more baking than I usually do in the summer months, mostly due to the fact that we can't find fruit this year that has any flavor and baking seems to help sweeten it up. I suppose it may be due to the fact that everyone has had very odd weather this year of either flooding rain or serious drought. It's either that or all the flavor has been breed out of every variety. Cherries are one of those things that we simply can't grow in Texas. Of course we really can't grow much of anything these days with temperatures continuing in the triple digits with over fifty days of no rain. Since I can't garden right now I shall bake. It is however my second passion in life and I shall not complain to much.

Ingredients

2 cups organic unbleached  flour
1/3 cup organic whole wheat flour
1/2 cup organic whole cane sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 lrg. egg at room temperature
1/2 cup organic whole milk
1/3 cup plain greek god yogurt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter softened
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
8 to 10 ounces fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate squares, broken up
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Add all the rest of the ingredients and stir together until well blended. I add the cherries and nuts last. 

Fill paper muffins liners about 3/4 full.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 18 to 20 minutes.

Recipe made 1 dozen muffins.

Happy Gardening wherever you may be so blessed!!
Pammy

2 comments: