Thursday, April 12, 2012

Double Berry Upside Down Cake

Upside Down Strawberry and Blueberry Yogurt Cake

After a couple of months of the low to no sugar diets around here, I found myself having a yearning for it as the strawberries began streaming into the kitchen from the garden. I call this my breakdown cake, but no one else would have really understood that title for this cake but me.

I decided that some blueberries I had in the freezer should be put to use and go for a double berry topping. I can see that if I had used straight strawberries I could have cut the sugar for the topping way back since the strawberries are so sweet and the blueberries not so much. Actually any of your favorite fruits could be used and when the next breakdown occurs I will probably go for some of those blackberries that are forming in the garden along with more strawberries. Garnish this cake with some fresh sprigs of your favorite mint from the garden and you will be good to go.

The flour used in any recipe makes a tremendous difference in the results. I recently changed flours again in my pursuit of the best. I shop not for just the best results in my homemade baked goods, but for healthier alternatives. It is important to me that my family eats healthy, but it is also important that I support companies that find the health of our environment to be just as important.

After more research on flours I ran across an article written on Mother Earth News magazine about Hodgson Mill. I really like what I read and it sparked me because I remember seeing this flour in our market and hadn't tried it. All I can say is I really like how it has worked for both my breads and my cakes and I feel good about supporting such a company with our hard earned dollars.

Mr. Fancy Pants

Use a 9X13 baking dish or two round cake pans and lightly butter the insides. Preheat oven to 325.

Topping
1/2 cup unsalted organic butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 to 3 cups of sliced strawberries (or mix of berries)
1 cup crushed walnuts

Mix all the topping ingredients in a small saucepan on low heat and stir until it just begins to bubble. Pour mixture into your baking dish or cake pans.

Cake
1 1/2 cups organic unbleached flour
1/3 cup organic white/wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup raw pure cane sugar
1/2 cup butter softened
2 large eggs
3/4 cup Greek God Yogurt (plain)
1/2 cup organic coconut milk
3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Whisk all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine all of the wet ingredients mixing until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix on medium low speed until nice and creamy. The mixture is a little thick, but this is good. Pour batter on top of the berry mixture. Spread it carefully until somewhat even. Bake at 325 for approximately 40 minutes. Test with a toothpick until it comes out clean.

Let the cake cool. I used the 9X13 baking dish and cut the cake down the middle side to side. I then gently lifted one half of the cake out of the pan and turned it over onto a cake plate. Take the other half out and do the same thing and place it on top of your other half for a double berry upside down cake.

Happy Gardening!
Pammy

No comments:

Post a Comment