Monday, May 14, 2012

Key Lime Pie

What's left of the pie?

Well it was Mr. Gardens Birthday this Mother's Day weekend and we were really misbehaving with this Key Lime Pie! No, mine isn't green because I don't use food coloring. This pie will surely put a dimple in your cheeks. YUM!

The last time I made it was a couple of years ago at Christmas. We had decided to have a seafood Christmas dinner that year with Snow Crab, Coconut Shrimp and fresh Wild Caught Cod. Of course Key Limes are just so tropical and go so well with seafood.

So I asked Mr. Garden what kind of birthday cake he wanted me to make him this year and out popped, "I want one of those Key Lime Pies you made that time." Oh Boy!! He has no clue that I have to hand squeeze practically a whole sack of tiny little key limes to make this pie. But of course it is his birthday too! 

The recipe I use can actually be found on the internet quite easily because it is a rather famous pie! This refreshing Key Lime Pie is the most requested dessert on the menu at Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida. I wouldn't know because I've only eaten the pies I've made myself.

I will add that there is absolutely nothing healthy about this pie, except the fresh limes perhaps. It is a special occasion sort of pie. Even with that information, you must know that I still changed a couple of things. Only because I didn't see the point of all that sugar in the crust and WHOA Nelly on the butter!! I also didn't make the whipped topping. Shhhhhh!!.....don't tell, but I actually made Key Lime Cupcakes for the grandbabies as well and they had cream cheese frosting...I reserved a tiny bit to dot the pie.

Ingredients

Pie Crust
  • 1 whole section of graham crackers, crushed
  • 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 1 stick melted butter
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
  • Note: They actually use 4 Tbsp. of sugar and 2 sticks of butter and 3/4 pd of graham crackers OUCH 
  •  
  • Filling
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
  • 2/3 cup fresh Key lime juice
  • 1 lime , grated zest
Directions

To make the crust:  Crush the graham crackers and whisk in the sugar, melt the butter and mix it in. Press the mixture into a glass pie plate. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Take it out to settle while you prepare the filling.

To make filling: While the crust is resting, in an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, whip the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until fluffy, or 5 to 6 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to whip until thick, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice until incorporated.

Pour the mixture into the crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until the filling has just set. Cool on a wire rack, and then refrigerate for 20 minutes

The little bit of frosting I used was so good on this pie. You could choose to use whipped topping or even yogurt would be great.

Frosting Recipe

FROSTING

  • 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

So I warned you!! =D

Happy Gardening and Happy Birthday Mr. Garden!!
Pammy



4 comments:

  1. I don't usually attempt pies, except for cobblers, but this sounds SO GOOD! Maybe I'll make an exception...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to try it Dorothy. Just be sure you have friends and family to share with unless sugar don't affect you..it really does me and gave me quite a sugar buzz...LOL but it is a treat for once in awhile xox

      Delete