Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Inspirational And Whimsical Garden Stakes

My first attempt at making a Whimsical Garden Stake

This past Saturday we had our first Crazy Garden Girls Club get together for the new year and learned how to make whimsical garden stakes. Actually I think everyone else already knew how to make them except for me. That made it all the more fun being surrounded by such talented artists.

 Our Instructor "Ruth Hardy" made the cutest whimsy!

Ruth was such a wonderful teacher. I will admit that whenever our garden club gets together there is bound to be some sort of mischief. Yes, we all act up, hence the name of our club! Ruth was very patient thank goodness. At one point I think I imagined her having to teach us full time. I pictured her having to break the ruler out to crack our knuckles. Of course that could hurt, but probably make us laugh even harder.

My newest Garden Friend, the other Pam!

Now this gave me inspiration! Why didn't I think of a beautiful ceramic ball to add to the top of mine? Now you have the prettiest garden sphere to place in the garden bed. OH these gals are creative! Thank Goodness for Pam Mills! She was so thoughtful to bring an extra tube of the glue we needed just in case someone needed some. Of course that was me! Totally unprepared for class..hmmm...takes me back...

Morning Glory Craft Cottage's very own Donna Hamilton

This piece was absolutely beautiful in the blue and white theme. Look at the bottom plate with the scalloped edges and that awesome blue top that looked like a flower to me. I expected nothing less for Donna. She just has that magical eye for special touches like this lovely garden stake. She had finished hers off with a white vase for the bottom that will simply slide over a stake driven in the ground to place in her herb garden. I can picture butterflies visiting for a sip of cool water from this piece.

This could become a very addictive hobby for me. I guess Now that I've learned what sort of pieces to look for to create such majesty, I will be sure to be on the hunt during one of my garage sale days. I don't recommend cleaning out your china cabinet by all means. I would say to be sure to upcycle items that are not antique. I would hate to see valuable dishes and such being glued together for ever more. But if you are thrifty and keep a sharp eye out I bet you could make one of these lovelies for around 5 bucks plus the glue. The glue stuff is called E6000 and available at your local hobby store for about 4 bucks.

Happy Gardening!
Pammy



9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the compliments! All of you were wonderfully creative and easy to teach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a blast! Thank You and I can't wait to see what the Crazy Garden Gals comes up with next!!! xox ~ Pammy

      Delete
  2. They are all so beautiful! Sounds like alot of fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Dracofly..it really was a marvelous time. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea. What a neat way to repurpose vintage glass. You can buy that stuff all day long at the Goodwill for next to nothing. I like a sealant for glass on glass called GE Silicone II from Lowe's or HD in the caulk department. The clear sets up pretty quick, bonds forever, & is mildew resistant for outside. It's cheaper by volume than the other, which is really good stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaybe! Hey I know what the GE Silicone II stuff is!! I had no clue you could use it for this stuff. I may try that on my next project, because I didn't like the smell of the stuff we were using, although it was super super quick and hard. Sounds like we may be hitting up the goodwill again hahaha =D

      Delete
  4. Beautiful & clever! I'm going to be hitting up garage sales for glass pieces.

    P.S. I wish I could subscribe to your blog by e-mail :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is a lot of fun in the hunt ;) I'll try to set up the RSS Feed to suscribe via email Debbie xox

      Delete
  5. How long to they take to dry? are they just for the garden? thinking about making one for a wedding gift

    ReplyDelete