Thursday, December 5, 2013

Natural Vanilla Bean And Avocado Deodorant



I've been making our own deodorant for years at home. It has saved us tons of money!

More than money my homemade deodorant has saved my family from all the harmful chemicals that are in store bought deodorants. We must be especially careful of dangerous aluminum products.

My favorite recipe is simply mixing equal parts of Arrowroot powder and baking soda. I then mix in a couple of tablespoons of oil and a few drops of a homemade herbal infusion. 

I first began using Coconut Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Both always worked well and were wonderful for my skin. After time I discovered that Avocado Oil had so many more benefits to the skin.

When you think about it, Avocado's have the most Vitamin E of any food on earth. It is also rich in vitamins A and D which makes it perfect for healthy skin. It soothes and heals your skin and works great as a facial moisturizer.

We use a special avocado oil that is extra virgin and cold pressed. When processed in this manner it has higher health benefits both topically and as a food.

Don't be stuck on the 2 Tbsp of Oil in making this recipe. If you don't put enough oil in the recipe it can be to crumbly. I love ours just a bit creamy. It applies like silk by just dabbing your finger in the jar.

As you can see in the photo, I use a couple of bread yeast jars. One for me and one for Mr. Garden.

One jar at about 3/4 of the way full will last us well over 3 months. Don't forget we are in the Southern Gulf Coast and work outdoors. We always stay dry and smell fresh with this recipe!


Vanilla has historically been used as an herb to treat irritated skin, cuts and scrapes. It contains antibacterial properties that help soothe and cleanse the skin from rashes and pimples.

It is simple to make your own vanilla extract. Start with good quality vanilla beans and make an infusion with Vodka. 

I use 3 or 4 beans to 1/2 pint of Vodka. It takes 8 to 10 weeks to become rich in extract.

Keep the jar in a dark place and gently shake it a couple of  times a week.

I usually keep a couple of jars going at all times because of the length of time it takes for it to cure properly. I  use it for a skin treatment and baking as well.

We have found vanilla extract to be very useful during the summer months by applying it to our face and arms. It seems to help repel bothersome insects while working in the garden.

Happy Homesteading!
Pammy




No comments:

Post a Comment